Calm and relaxation are things we can all use more of in our lives, but even more so in pregnancy. It is such a miraculous and trans-formative time, we want to savor it. I wanted to share some methods that worked for me, these methods helped me create a calm, relaxed attitude as well as giving me time for myself and my baby. Here are 5 methods that I found to be the most helpful and easy.
1. Take a bath – nourish yourself with a nice warm bath, put some lavender or some rose essential oil in your water to enhance the relaxation. Put your hands on your belly and allow yourself to slink down and relax all of your muscles. You can use this time to envision your baby or your coming birth experience.
2. Go for a Walk – take a walk in the woods or down the road, anywhere that you can easily access. Take time to notice the plants and animals, the wind, the sun, the sound of the earth beneath your feet. Walk slowly and breathe in the fresh air.
3. Color or Draw, Knit/Crotchet or Sew – Anything you enjoy doing that gets your creative juices flowing is a wonderful way to relax. Make it easy on yourself, have everything you need close by. I like to paint so I have a desk with all my supplies in the kitchen. This way I can pick it up and put it down easily. This encourages me to actually take the time to paint and draw. If it is easy, you are more likely to want to do it.
4. Get Lots of Rest – If it is your first baby, nap whenever you can, if you have children already, nap when they nap, or just go to bed earlier. Allow yourself time to sleep and dream 🙂
5. Massage your Belly – I loved taking some baby massage oil and massaging my belly/baby before I went to bed. It was a great time to relax and connect with my baby, and it was easy to reach. When you are nearing the end, you can really feel your baby, they will move under your hands. The oil helps with the stretching and itchiness of your growing belly.